Approximately one year ago, life had started spinning out of control. I was working way too much and missing out on important family happenings. I was overwhelmed, exhausted and becoming grumpy, so I knew that something had to change. That’s when I overhauled my morning routine and the result is a BIG accomplishment that I’m excited to share with you. During this time last spring, I was running a hundred miles an hour and headed to a destination where I did not want to be. During that time–my life was extremely full.
How about you–is your life feeling FULL? If so, I have some great news for you! YOU can take control and make a change. When life is at a place where you think that you cannot fit one more thing into your schedule, or the level of overwhelm is just about making you lose your mind, then look at it as a blessing in disguise. It is at these times that I believe we need to recognize that God is trying to get our attention and say “Hey you! Hello–how about you try my way instead of yours.”
During this overwhelming period in my life, I adjusted my morning routine and added even more to an overflowing plate. You know why? Because I knew that something HAD to change, and I have had enough experience in life to recognize that I was the only person on the planet responsible to make that change. The change that I made required me to get up even earlier every morning and dedicate 21 minutes before I started my day to a serious time of reading, prayer, journaling and meditation. I promised myself that I was going to take 21 minutes for 21 days and get serious about implementing change.
How about you? Do some things need to change so that your quality of life is manageable and your priorities are aligned? Here are the FOUR mind shifts that forced me to make the necessary changes and align my priorities to help me reach my desired destination:
- ADMIT that something has to give. This is vital because until we admit to ourselves that we may be the one standing in our own way, we will continue to be like the hamster running around the same wheel getting nowhere.
- DECIDE to do something about it. Decisiveness is the catalyst for action. Overthinking and procrastination lead to paralysis and being in that state is debilitating.
- ACTIVATE a plan. My recommendation is to read something that encourages, inspires and motivates you and makes you FEEL like acting and making a change.
- PRAY. Recognizing that there is a higher purpose and a better life in store will restore peace, order and balance to an overwhelmed life.
Those were the four steps that I took–although I must admit that I prayed first and the other three steps followed the prayers. The result of switching things up forced me to make some necessary changes! Furthermore, the biggest part of that process was just released as my THIRD book! YES–my third book is hot off the presses and is a series of spiritual adventures that opened my eyes to possibilities, opportunities and new beginnings.Take 21: BURSTs of Quiet with God was started during some of the busiest times of my life, but I knew the message was so important that I could not keep it to myself. Take 21: BURSTs of Quiet with God is a series of six adventures of faith:
- 21 Days of RENEWED Faith for What’s True
- 21 Days to a DECISION for What’s Lingering
- 21 Days of PREPARATION for What’s Next
- 21 Days of GUIDANCE for What’s Wise
- 21 Days of HOPE for What’s Possible
- 21 Days of GRATITUDE for Simple Blessings
This book was the approach I took to re-aligning my priorities, which in turn, put me on a path for a different destination. As I shared this adventure with some of my writing and entrepreneurial friends, they each encouraged me to write it as a book so that they too could use the adventures in their own lives.
If you are wondering how on earth I happened to write and publish a book in the midst of overwhelm, join me tomorrow, May 27 at 1 p.m. for this month’s FREE Teleseminar: Write Now: 5 Ways to Start Your Book Today. Writing a book is not easy, and is not for the faint of heart; however, it is a possibility for the COMMITTED. If you are ready to find out how to do it, I would LOVE to share with you some of my strategies and watch you write that book that’s been on your heart and in your head!